If you’ve heard of kefir, but are not exactly sure how it can benefit your health hold on tight because we’re about to blow you away with why it’s pretty darn amazing.
But, if you’re sitting there scratching your head wondering what in the world kefir is, here’s the 411.
Kefir, similar to yogurt is a fermented drink made from kefir grains but is different in the sense that it contains both beneficial bacteria and yeast. And, if the idea of consuming bacteria and yeast doesn’t sound appetizing to you, get this-your gut is home to trillions of bacteria. These little bugs are there to keep things like candida overgrowth under control along with all of the other pathogenic microbes.
So, basically, consuming kefir is a great way to give your gut a nice boost of beneficial probiotics to help keep the healthy gut flora happy, and the toxic bacteria at bay.
Another great thing about kefir is that while it is traditionally made from cow’s milk, you can find it made from goat, sheep, and non-dairy milk as well. So, depending on what floats your boat, there’s an option that will work for you.
Why We Think Everyone Should be Enjoying it
We love us some kefir around here, and here’s why it’s an ideal gut-boosting superfood, and it comes with quite a few additional health benefits we simply cannot ignore.
- Kefir is a great source of protein, making it a great way to supercharge your breakfast and keep you full all morning long.
- Rich in calcium and magnesium.
- It’s loaded with healthy probiotics to give your digestive system a boost. Grains contain up to 61 strains of beneficial bacteria, making this an ideal probiotic-rich food.
- Pour yourself a cup of kefir during cold and flu season because it may help support a healthy immune system due to its Lactobacillus kefiri content. Studies have found that species of Lactobacillus were beneficial for those with Helicobacter pylori gut infections, and probiotics, in general, are excellent for supporting an overall robust immune system.
- Due to its high calcium content, consuming kefir is a great way to support bone health.
Kefir is darn delicious and makes the perfect addition to your daily smoothie. Use kefir in place of milk for a super creamy smoothie packed with nutritional value.
How to Get Kefir Into Your Diet
The great thing about kefir is that there are different ways you can get this gut-boosting superfood into your diet. If dairy is a no-go, you can make a dairy-free kefir. Yup, you heard that right, you can make homemade kefir without the dairy by buying grains and making water.
Here are some other creative ways to enjoy some on the reg.
- Kefir yogurt
- Kefir blended into your daily smoothie
- Mixed into your overnight oats
- Add it to your recipes by adding it to homemade pancakes and muffins
The Final Word
We all could use a gut boost no matter what state our gut health is in. Why? Because supporting the gut is an ongoing process. By eating a super clean diet, exercising regularly, and boosting the beneficial bacteria in your gut, you can help maintain optimal gut health and thus support better overall health and wellness. Sound good? Then head to your local health food store and pick up some kefir. Add some to your smoothie, enjoy a cup with fresh fruit for a healthy snack, or make a homemade water for a dairy-free option. There’s no better time than now to start supporting your gut health, and kefir can be a great way to get things moving in the right direction.