With fall upon us and back-to-school season fast approaching, bolstering our immune system is more important than ever. Because, let’s face it, schools can be a breeding ground for germs. Plus, the cool, dry autumn air makes it easy for those pesky viruses to enter and attack our bodies. Not to mention, days are shorter and darker, meaning our immune system is already at risk due to reduced sunlight and vitamin D. However, by adopting a healthy lifestyle and taking a proactive approach to boost your immune system, you can protect against pathogens and benefit your overall health. And good news, we’re showing you how to pack in prevention with a simple shot of vitamin C-rich juice! Enter: immunity bombs, the secret to strengthening your immune system.
Ahead, the benefits of vitamin C, how it supports the immune system, and how you can incorporate immunity bombs into your back-to-school and fall routine.
RELATED: 6 Immune-Supporting Eating Habits
Vitamin C & Immunity: What To Know
When it comes to immune support, vitamin C is the go-to vitamin of choice. As a powerful antioxidant, vitamin C helps protect against oxidative stress, an inflammatory mechanism that can weaken the immune system and wreak havoc on the body. It also helps to boost the production of white blood cells (including neutrophils, lymphocytes, and phagocytes), our first line of defense against pathogens and foreign invaders.
And if you do pick something up, some research has shown that vitamin C may help reduce the duration of colds.
Immunity Bomb Key Ingredients
- Ginger: Rich in gingerol, a bioactive compound in ginger shown to contain anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and antioxidant properties.
- Garlic: High in sulfur and full of anti-inflammatory, and heart-healthy properties that modulate the immune system.
- Turmeric: Rich in curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory compound that has been shown to enhance immune health and inhibit oxidative stress
- Citrus: Rich in Vitamin C, citrus such as oranges and lemons contain powerful immune-modulating antioxidants and flavonoids.
- Raw Honey: Rich in antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar: Rich in gut-friendly bacteria that support immune function.
- Black Pepper: Containing piperine, which has been shown to enhance the absorption of curcumin.
Immunity Bomb Recipe
Different from traditional immunity shots, there’s no juicer required for this recipe! All you need is a high-speed blender, making for easier prep and clean-up. Plus, because this recipe is freezer-friendly, it’s easy to meal prep by doubling the recipe as desired. Modify as needed, adding in extra honey for more sweetness or boosting the recipe with additional superfoods such as bee propolis.
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger (or 1 tsp ginger powder)
- 2-inch piece of fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- 1 large organic lemon, roughly chopped (with or without peel)
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 small garlic clove, optional
- pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar, optional
- 2-4 tbsp filtered water (or as needed to thin), optional
Step #1: Add all the above ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add water as needed to blend or thin.
Step #2: Taste test, adjusting ingredients as needed or desired. Option to strain through a fine mesh strainer (though you may lose nutrients).
Step #3: Pour into a silicone ice cube tray or mold and freeze for several hours or overnight. When ready to enjoy, place 1 smoothie cube into 1 cup of hot water for a warm tea. Alternatively, you could add to smoothies, stir-fries, or any recipe of choice. Enjoy!
Build Your Defenses This Season
If you’re looking to boost your immune system this season, look no further than these quick and convenient immunity bombs. Thanks to their rich levels of vitamin C, these immunity bombs help bolster our immune system, which is key because, remember, prevention is key! However, don’t forget about other healthy lifestyle factors that support your immune system, such as a nutrient-rich diet, proper sleep, stress management, and regular movement. Cheers!