Enjoying a healthy breakfast sets the tone for a healthier day. And, not only that but fueling up with nutrient-dense foods is a sure-fire way to give your body that much-needed boost of energy to conquer your daily to-do lists!
We’re sharing simple ways to ditch that sugary bowl of sugar and say yes to healthy and wholesome breakfast options to help set you up for serious healthy eating success all day long.
5 Healthy Breakfast Ideas That Actually Taste Delicious
#1 Add Some Fat
Thanks to the paleo and keto diets, we’re starting to see that fat doesn’t deserve that bad rap it used to get! In fact, healthy fats are actually super important for health and make a great addition to a healthy and balanced diet.
Why? Well, the body needs fat for tons of reasons, including:
- Fat is a huge source of energy (and hey, we all need that morning energy boost!)
- We need fat to help support the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of fat that plays a key role in brain health and inflammation.
- Fat helps promote satiety.
But, heads up — not all fats are created equal. We need to stick with healthy picks like monounsaturated and polyunsaturated options while staying away from trans and hydrogenated fats.
Here are some of our top picks:
- Nuts & seeds
- Nut butter
- Olives & olive oil
- Wild-caught salmon
So, go ahead and add some healthy fat to your breakfast for a well-rounded balance. Here are some ways to enjoy fat with your healthy breakfast.
- Add a tablespoon of almond butter on top of your bowl of oatmeal.
- Whip up some scrambled eggs and enjoy with sliced avocado.
- Enjoy a bowl of plain Greek yogurt (or coconut milk yogurt for a dairy-free option) and top with some raw almonds and fresh berries.
#2 Amp Up The Protein
Here are some delicious ways to add protein to your healthy breakfast:
- Enjoy scrambled eggs over a slice of gluten-free toast with some avocado.
- Blend up a smoothie with berries, spinach, almond milk, and a scoop of JSHealth X FitOn Protein.
- Add a sprinkle of chia or flax seeds over a bowl of oatmeal with a tablespoon of nut butter.
#3 Eat Real
To help create a healthy breakfast, we have to ditch the processed and artificial foods and enjoy real and wholesome foods.
Try challenging yourself by getting away from the boxed cereals, premade oatmeal packs, or frozen breakfast meals.
Instead, choose real, whole foods that don’t come packaged and processed.
And, when putting together your wholesome breakfast, think about balance too. Ideally, you’ll want a complex carb, healthy fat, and protein.
Here are some of our favorite ingredients to mix and match for breakfast.
- Quinoa (makes a great breakfast cereal)
- Rolled oats
- Sweet potatoes (you can add cubed sweet potatoes to your omelets)
- Nut butter
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Almonds, walnuts, pecans
- Chia, flax, hemp seeds
#4 Eat Lunch For Breakfast
When we think about breakfast, we often think cereal, waffles, and muffins, right? But, what if we shifted how we thought about breakfast altogether and ate lunch for breakfast instead?
This healthy breakfast hack is a great way to ditch the sugary breakfast go-to’s and makes it easier to choose something a bit more wholesome. Plus, lunch for breakfast often makes for a meal that’s going to help keep our blood sugar levels stable and energy levels high.
Here are some great lunch-like meals that also work really well for breakfast.
- Scrambled egg bowl with ground turkey, broccoli, or kale.
- Breakfast wrap with ground beef or turkey, kale, feta cheese, healthy dressing of choice.
- Breakfast quesadilla with eggs, salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, nutritional yeast, guacamole.
#5 Make it to Go
If you find yourself skipping breakfast or grabbing something from your local coffee shop in a pinch, you’re going to want in on this healthy breakfast tip.
Try making your breakfast the night before so you can just grab and go in the morning.
Here are some quick and nourishing ideas to get you started.
- Overnight oats
- Chia pudding
- Egg muffins
Hey, even if you work from home, it still makes a super convenient way to enjoy a healthy breakfast without having to do any prep or cleanup — now that’s a healthy eating win!
Set The Tone For a Healthy Day With a Healthy Breakfast!
Setting the tone for a healthy and productive day really starts at breakfast. And, just like that morning cup of coffee is a part of many of our morning routines, let’s make a healthy breakfast standard too.
With a balanced, nourishing, and filling breakfast, you’ll be fueling your body with much-needed energy and setting the tone for a day of healthy food choices.