Upset stomach, indigestion? Yup, these are things so many of us suffer with on a day-to-day basis. Between chronic stress, inflammatory foods, and less exercise than we know we should be getting, it’s easy to see why our stomach may be in knots by the end of the day.
But here’s the thing-diet plays such an integral role in gut health. Not to mention, diet is one thing that you absolutely can control. What you put in your body has a direct impact on your overall health and how well your digestive system functions.
So, want in on nature’s secret weapon for better gut health? We’re talking ginger.
Read on to learn why ginger is basically nature’s Pepto Bismol (but oh so much better tasting)
Ginger for Gut Health
Ginger and gut health go hand in hand. Have you ever had an upset stomach and sipped on a mug of ginger tea and instantly felt better? Or pregnant mommas out there, have ginger chews been your go-to to ease yucky first-trimester morning sickness? It’s pretty much the shiz when it comes to supporting gut health, and here’s why.
- It Can Help Combat Nausea: One of the most popular gut-supporting benefits of ginger is its ability to help calm nausea. It has long been used to help with pregnancy nausea as well as seasickness, and there are so many ways you can get it in your diet. From pregnancy anti-nausea tea to chews, it’s an easy remedy to reduce nausea.
- May Help Those With Stomach Ulcers: Stomach ulcers can be incredibly painful and can certainly interfere with the quality of one’s life. But, want to know something pretty amazing? Ginger is thought to help prevent stomach ulcers from forming in the first place by decreasing inflammation.
- Improves Overall Digestive Health: Gut health is central to the overall health of the body. Taking the steps necessary to help support proper digestion is huge when it comes to feeling our best. Ginger can help give your gut a boost by actually reducing symptoms like heartburn or feelings of fullness after eating. So, go ahead and add some to your recipes. It’ll give your digestive system the boost it needs to keep moving things right along.
- Combats Inflammation: Did you know that inflammation is at the root of nearly all disease? Even things like Alzheimer’s and depression can be linked back to inflammation (crazy, huh?) So, it makes sense that many digestive related conditions are brought on by inflammation as well. By reducing the total inflammation in your body, your digestive health may very well function better. Ginger is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, making it the ideal addition to your gut-supporting diet.
How to Eat Ginger
Ok, so we get it-ginger is one of nature’s best gut-boosting foods, but how exactly do you eat it?
Ginger can be enjoyed quite a few ways including.
- Added to a fresh juice
- Blended into a smoothie
- Added to stir-fry’s
- Powdered ginger can easily be added to many recipes (even sweet treats like muffins)
- Enjoyed as a tea
3 Gut-Boosting Recipes
To help you get started, we are sharing our top three favorite ways to add ginger to your diet by sharing these recipes.
#1 Ginger Tea
One of the easiest ways to get some into your diet is to make a tea. You can find ginger tea at your local health food store. Alternatively, steep a small piece of fresh ginger in a cup of hot water, strain, and then add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and a drizzle of raw honey for added sweetness.
#2 Ginger Pear Smoothie
This recipe is super easy to whip up and is a great refreshing way to get ginger into your diet. Try making a ginger pear smoothie with almond or coconut milk, freshly sliced pear, a frozen banana, and a sprinkle of ground ginger. Blend and sweeten with raw honey or pure maple syrup.
#3 Ginger Juice
If your digestion is feeling a bit sluggish, and you need a little bit of a boost, then this recipe will hit the spot. Try making fresh juice by running some apples, lemon, and fresh ginger through a juicer. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for added heat if desired. This recipe gets bonus points because it’s also great for the immune system (it’s perfect for cold and flu season.)
Ginger holds so many amazing health properties and makes the perfect addition to a healthy diet to help support optimal gut health. The better you support your digestion, the better you feel. So, go out and pick up some fresh and ground ginger, and get experimenting in the kitchen. Not only will your gut health benefit, but your recipes will have an added flavor boost full of ginger’s amazing gut-boosting properties. Total win.