Toast is a quintessential breakfast that is simple to whip up and goes well with just about anything. But munching on a plain old dry piece of toast can be pretty boring. Thankfully, there are some amazingly delicious toast toppings that are just as satisfying as they are healthy. And, there’s something for everyone: sweet and savory options, vegetarian toast recipes, and plenty of on-the-go ideas for busy mornings. So, if you are on the hunt for some easy and healthy toast ideas, then this article is for you.
Is Toast Healthy?
Toast is a staple breakfast food that many of us have been eating for years under our avocado or alongside our scrambled eggs.
But is toast really healthy?
As with most things, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. It depends on which type of toast you are eating, as well as what you are topping your toast with. Enjoying a slice of whole-grain toast topped with nutrient-dense fruits, nut butter, or other healthy toppings can be a great start to the day. But if you’re reaching for white bread toast topped with a heavy spread that’s high in sugar, then it may not be the healthiest choice.
How to Make Your Toast Healthier
Wondering how to make your toast healthier? Try these tips:
Go For a Higher Fiber Option: Choose a bread option that contains fiber, such as whole-grain or Ezekiel bread.
Give Sourdough Bread a Try: Sourdough offers unique benefits — such as enhanced nutrient absorption, better digestion, and gut health support — due to the fermentation process and its prebiotic properties. Plus, it’s full of nutrients like antioxidants, B vitamins, potassium, and magnesium.
Try a “Bread-Free” Option: Try swapping traditional toast for a more nutrient-dense option like toasted sweet potato!
Looking For a Gluten-Free Bread? There are plenty of gluten-free bread options that have come a long way! Gluten-free bread varieties like Canyon Bakehouse, Udi’s, and Sprouted For Life offer gluten-free bread that would be perfect for your morning toast!
As for healthy toppings, read on for 15 ideas to get you started.
15 Healthy Breakfast Toast Ideas
Topping your toast doesn’t require complicated recipes or fancy ingredients. While you may see some incredibly picturesque toasts on social media that look super tempting to make, keeping things simple is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.
In need of some inspiration for healthy toast ideas? Here are some combos for you to try out the next time your toast craving hits.
Plant-Based Toast Ideas
- Peanut Butter, Banana, honey, and cinnamon
- Mashed avocado, radish, fresh orange sections, a pinch of salt and pepper
- Low sugar hazelnut spread, sliced strawberries, coconut flakes
- Hummus with sliced cucumbers and dill
- Nut-based cream cheese with berries
Savory Toast Ideas
Are you team-savory? Give these satisfying, healthy toast ideas a try.
- Mashed avocado, cooked egg, everything but the bagel seasoning
- Mashed white beans, olive oil, crushed garlic, crushed red pepper
- Mashed avocado, feta cheese, chopped tomato, sliced cucumber, sea salt, balsamic vinegar drizzle, olive oil drizzle
- Ricotta, roasted cherry tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, a pinch of sea salt
Sweet Toast Recipes
When your sweet tooth hits, these simple recipes make for a healthy way to curb your cravings.
- Cottage cheese and canned pineapple
- Greek yogurt topped with sliced berries and slivered almonds
- Ricotta, blackberries, honey, and lemon zest
Healthy Toast Ideas For Busy Mornings
Busy mornings call for quick and delicious recipes that keep you satiated and satisfied. Fuel your day with these yummy combos that can be made in under 5 minutes and require just 5 ingredients or less.
- Almond butter, strawberries, and a handful of dark chocolate chips
- Cottage cheese, berries, and a drizzle of honey
- Sliced mozzarella, sliced tomato, fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil, and a splash of vinegar
- Nut butter, sliced figs, and a sprinkle of chia or hemp seeds
The Ultimate Sweet Potato Avocado Toast Recipe
For a healthy alternative to traditional toast, give this FitOn PRO sweet potato toast recipe a go! Enjoy as-is, or serve it up with your favorite toppings.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 egg, hard-boiled or over-easy
- Tomato, diced
- Greens like arugula, spinach, or microgreens
- Seeds like hemp or pumpkin
Step #1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Step #2: Rinse and slice the sweet potato lengthwise into ½ or ¼ inch slices.
Step #3: Place on a baking sheet and lightly spray with EVOO on each side.
Step #4: Roast, flipping once, to desired crispness, about 30 minutes.
Step #5: Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
Step #6: Add avocado slices, a sprinkle of sea salt, and any additional toppings. Enjoy!
Healthy and Easy Toast Ideas for a Satisfying Breakfast
Surely you have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And toasts that are topped with yummy and good-for-you toppings can make for a breakfast that can fit into any healthy lifestyle.
So, brush off your toaster, snag yourself some whole grain bread (or toasted sweet potato!), decide on your toppings, and get ready for a breakfast that really hits the spot.