2020 has been the year that deliciously creative food and beverage trends have gone viral. Remember Dolgona Coffee? Well, these hot chocolate bombs are the next biggest craze, and just in time for the holidays and cold weather, which has hot chocolate calling our name. These have quite literally taken Instagram, Tik Tok, and Pinterest by storm, and we just had to get in on the fun. Enter our very own healthier hot chocolate bombs. These are gluten and dairy-free, and too delicious not to try.
The best part? Despite the fact that they look fairly complicated, they are surprisingly pretty easy to make. Ready to make your own? Here’s your step by step guide.
Here’s What You Need to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Semi sphere silicone molds
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Coconut sugar
- Dandies vegan mini marshmallows
- Naturally sweetened sprinkles
- Cake decorating icing (check out places like Whole Foods for a natural option)
- Dairy-free milk of choice
Step By Step Guide on Making These Healthier Hot Chocolate Bombs
These Healthier Hot Chocolate Bombs Are
Step #1 Gather Your Ingredients & Prep
- 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup vegan mini marshmallows
- Decorating icing & sprinkles of choice
Note: Before you move onto step two, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and add the cocoa powder and coconut sugar to a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Step #2 Melt the Chocolate
Next, add the chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 15-20 second intervals until melted. Be sure to stir between microwave times.
Step #3 Add Chocolate to Molds
Next, using a spoon, drop about a tablespoon of the melted chocolate into each silicone mold, and using the back of your spoon, evenly coat the sides of the molds, leaving a “dip” in the center.
Flip the molds upside down on the parchment-lined baking sheet and gently tap. Flip back over and place the molds on a large freezer-safe plate.
Freeze for about 15 minutes.
Step #4 Fill
Next, If the spheres are set, gently pop them out of the molds, touching them as little as possible. Fill three spheres with the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.
Step #5 Assemble The Healthier Hot Chocolate Bombs & Decorate
Warm a microwave-safe plate in the microwave, and one by one, take the 3 empty spheres and gently swirl the top onto the warmed plate.
One by one, add the spheres on top of the other filled sphere halves, creating a seal with the melted chocolate. Use a small amount of additional melted chocolate to seal if needed.
Decorate each healthier hot chocolate bomb with decorating icing and sprinkles of choice.
Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Step #6 Add to Mug & Pour Over Warm Milk
When ready to enjoy, add one healthier hot chocolate bomb to the bottom of a mug and pour warmed dairy-free milk of choice over top.
Watch the magic happen!
Step #7 Stir & Enjoy
Stir well and enjoy!
Want to try a different flavor? These healthier hot chocolate bombs serve as a great base recipe, but you can adjust to your liking! Here are some delicious flavor options.
- Peanut Butter Drizzle — decorate the outside of the hot chocolate bombs with a drizzle of peanut butter in place of the cake decorating icing.
- Coffee Boost — sprinkle in some instant coffee granules into your hot chocolate mix.
- Holiday Peppermint — add a sprinkle of crushed candy canes to your hot chocolate bombs (note that this will up the sugar content, so skip if you want to keep these healthier).
- Dark Chocolate — want to up the chocolate flavor? Add some extra chocolate chips to the center of your hot chocolate bombs.
Healthy Substitutions & Swap Options
While these hot chocolate bombs were created keeping healthier ingredients in mind, if you are looking for some additional swaps or add-ins, here are some options.
Chocolate Chip Swaps
- Lily’s unsweetened dark chocolate chips
- If you want to avoid the added sugar, you can omit the marshmallows.
- For a lower sugar option, you can also skip the sprinkles and just enjoy a plain hot chocolate bomb — it will still taste like pure chocolate decadence!
- Some delicious dairy-free milk options include oat, coconut, macadamia.
Bonus Serving Suggestions
- Want to get extra festive? Try serving your healthier hot chocolate bombs with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
This Delicious Beverage Trend Just Got Healthier
There you have it — healthier hot chocolate bombs. Made without dairy, gluten, and healthier lower sugar ingredients, this is a recipe you can enjoy throughout the rest of hot chocolate season.
Need a last-minute holiday gift? Turns out, these viral hot chocolate bombs are turning into holiday gifts. People are actually making hot chocolate bombs and giving them as gifts this year — I mean, we wouldn’t be mad about getting these as a holiday gift.
But, no matter how you go about making hot chocolate bombs, they are sure to be a hit with everyone in your family and are definitely a delicious way to spread some much-needed holiday cheer.