This time of year calls for all the cozy foods, and we’re pulling out all the stops with this mouthwateringly delicious gingerbread oatmeal bowl that only takes ten minutes to make and a handful of ingredients. It’s also healthy, making it sound too good to be true, but trust us — this hearty breakfast is only made with wholesome, nourishing ingredients and is pure happiness in a bowl. Want in? This gingerbread oatmeal is in the running for one of our all-time favorite healthy breakfast recipes.
The Shining Star Ingredients
Curious as to what makes this gingerbread oatmeal bowl healthier than others? We have sprinkled in some real-food ingredients and only used a drizzle of natural sweetener, already giving it a head start in the nutrition department.
But, here are the real shining star ingredients that make this bowl of oatmeal incredibly wholesome.
We love adding flaxseeds to really anything we can — from breakfast bowls to smoothies, adding a sprinkle of flaxseeds is a great way to amp up the fiber content, and these small but mighty seeds are also a good source of plant-based omega-3s.
Pecans & Walnuts
We’re topped this gingerbread oatmeal bowl off with a sprinkle of chopped pecans and walnuts for a healthy dose of added fat!
Bonus Optional Ingredient: Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses not only adds that traditional gingerbread flavor to this bowl, but it’s also a great natural sweetener and packs in some important vitamins and mineral such as:
Cozy Gingerbread Oatmeal
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 2 ¾ cups oat milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 2 tsp molasses (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Pure maple syrup for serving
- Optional add-ins & toppings: coconut cream, raisins, raw cacao nibs, chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients minus the protein powder, almond butter, pecans, walnuts, and maple syrup to a stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the protein powder and almond butter.
- Split between two serving bowls and top with chopped pecans and walnuts.
- Drizzle with pure maple syrup and enjoy!
Start Your Morning With This Cozy & Nourishing Bowl
There’s something about the colder weather that makes these winter mornings a slow go. So, if you find yourself snoozing your alarm and just wanting to stay in bed more during these months, we feel you!
But the good news is that there are plenty of hacks that can help give us the pep in our step we need as we start our day. Step one — uplevel your breakfast routine. Instead of eating the same thing every single day, try switching things up a bit with this cozy gingerbread oatmeal bowl. It’s the perfect mix of sweet and comforting and a delicious way to fuel us with the energy we need to power through our day.