Isn’t it amazing how one of the most basic things we do, every day, also happens to be one of the healthiest? We’re talking about, of course, walking! When you walk for as little as 30 minutes a day, whether it be on a treadmill or outdoors, you reap some serious rewards such as increased cardiovascular fitness, boosting endurance, and reducing the risk of certain diseases.
And walking for weight loss, or to avoid gaining excess pounds, is extremely easy to implement into a standard workout routine. It’s low impact, can be done anywhere, anytime, and there’s no equipment necessary. Plus, you can do other things at the same time, such as listening to a podcast or while talking on the phone. Multitaskers, rejoice!
So, if you’re looking for some help on how to lose that extra weight, we have the tools for you — a 28-day walking plan for weight loss! This plan is set to be your new best friend and a great add-on to any fitness routine.
Walking For Weight Loss & Overall Health
It’s hard to believe that something we do every day, most times on auto-pilot, can be the key to a healthier lifestyle and a cornerstone to weight management. Science suggests that walking improves overall health by:
- Reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Lowering overall body fat
- Improving balance
- Strengthening bones
- Managing blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes
Anyone of any age and any fitness level can easily achieve these results by simply taking the first step — literally. So, the next time you’re sweating it off while strengthening those muscles using the FitOn app, add in walking for added weight loss. You can even log those extra steps using the FitOn app and keep track of all your progress.
Ready to start your walking and weight loss plan? Let’s get to it!
28 Day Walking Plan For Weight Loss
Walking for exact weight-loss is dependent on several factors such as weight, walking speed, and genetics being the most prevalent. But noting that you can burn calories just by walking is motivation in itself.
For our 28 day plan, we’re focusing on three types of walking:
- Steady Walk: think of this like you’re running errands in a hurry, timing at a 20-minute mile (or average 3 miles per hour).
- Brisk Walk: a walk where you’re a bit out of breath, but can still keep the pace for the entire time. Add in intervals of quicker speeds with slower speeds, and hills from time to time.
- Power Walk: the highest level of walking, you’ll use your arms (and weights, if you have them) for full power the entire time. You can add in hills and elevation gain as well if you choose.
Now, let’s achieve your best self with this FitOn 28 day walking for weight loss plan that combines the best of our training tips along with simple to follow walking exercises.
Tip — Sign up for FitOn for unlimited access to amazing workouts, including the ones that we have sprinkled into this 28 day walking for weight loss plan.
- Day 1: 30-minute steady walk followed by this Interval Max workout with Breann Mitchell.
- Day 2: Go for a full mile at a brisk walk and don’t stop until you’ve achieved it. Then Stretch to Restore with FitOn trainer Vytas.
- Day 3: Go right into Beginner Total Body Pilates with Cassey Ho and then conclude with a 40-minute brisk walk.
- Day 4: Rest Day
- Day 5: 30-minute steady walk
- Day 6: 45-minute steady walk
- Day 7: Conclude your workout week with your first power walk at 20 minutes.
- Day 1: 30-minute brisk walk followed by a Stretch & Feel Good with Jeanette Jenkins.
- Day 2: Total Body Training with Kenta followed by a 40-minute steady walk
- Day 3: 40-minute brisk walk
- Day 4: Today is all about the power walk. Aim for 30 minutes, but go longer if you can.
- Day 5: Rest Day
- Day 6: 30-minute power walk
- Day 7: Start with 20 minutes of a brisk walk then take it down to 20 more of a steady walk, followed by Abs & Booty with Cassey Ho.
- Day 1: One hour of a steady walk, but push yourself to really go the distance. Then, do a Flexibility Stretch with Cassey Ho.
- Day 2: Total Body Conditioning with Danielle Pascente followed by a 40-minute power walk.
- Day 3: Rest day
- Day 4: 30 minutes of a steady walk followed by Total Arms with Breann Mitchell.
- Day 5: 45 minutes of a brisk walk
- Day 6: 40 minutes of a brisk walk followed by Butt & Thigh Blast with Jeanette Jenkins.
- Day 7: 40 minutes of a steady walk
- Day 1: One hour of a brisk walk, or 3 miles, followed by Stretch it Out with Caroline Pearce.
- Day 2: Today, try Recovery Day with Vytas followed by a 20-minute steady walk.
- Day 3: 30-minute power walk and a 10-minute steady walk followed by Blazing Guns with Kenta.
- Day 4: Rest day
- Day 5: 20 minutes of a steady walk, 20 minutes of a brisk walk, and push yourself further with a 10 (or 15, if you have it in you) power walk, followed by our Thigh Trim Down with Cassey Ho.
- Day 6: 45 minutes of a steady walk
- Day 7: 1 hour of power walk
A Walking For Fitness Class
Not feeling a walk outside today but have 20 minutes to just get your body moving? Try this FitOn Walking Fitness class with FitOn trainer Bree Koegel. Walk your heart out to high-energy music! You’ll have walked a whole mile in place by the end of this workout.
Walk, Burn Calories, and Center Your Mind
Walking for weight loss will do more than trim your waistline, it can help support overall health. Plus, it’s a simple activity that can be done anywhere, anytime. We also recommend adding in a quick cool-down, stretch, or yoga class after your walks, (which can be found right on the FitOn app!).
So, as you prepare to begin your new 28 day walking for weight loss plan it’s good to have goals and realistic expectations. This can jumpstart a healthy lifestyle if you remain committed and consistent. And we’re all about feeling positive and healthy in the long run!