Did you know that lack of time is one of the number one excuses for not getting a workout in? Yup, and it definitely makes sense because life can get totally nuts. Between everything we juggle on the day to day, it’s easy to write off our daily dose of self-care. But, here at FitOn, we want you to make yourself a priority by taking care of your mental and physical health every darn day (even if it means squeezing in a 10-minute workout). We’re sharing five tips on how to schedule in busy day workouts, plus a sample schedule that will work for even the busiest schedules.
Get your daily scheduling app open, because you’re going to want in on these super simple hacks to make sure that workout happens.
The Top 5 Tips on Scheduling Busy Day Workouts
Tip #1: Get Serious With Scheduling
Real talk—if you’re feeling totally unorganized and like you can barely catch your breath with your day to day to-do, it’s time to get down to business with scheduling. Sometimes all it takes to carve out some busy day workouts is a few minutes first thing in the AM to write out your daily schedule.
Start with your must-do priorities first, and try blocking times for everything you need to do. Have a work meeting between 11 AM-12 PM? Block this time out, and do the same for your other tasks. Then, look at your schedule and see where you can squeeze in a quick workout.
Can you take 15 minutes away from relaxing at lunch to press play on a FitOn cardio blast? When you pencil in everything you have going on, you’ll be surprised at where you can fit in a workout, even on the most hectic days.
Tip #2 Set Your Alarm Earlier
While this may sound pretty basic, getting up earlier is one of the easiest ways to fit in that busy day workout. You can get your sweat in even before your hectic schedule gets started. Not only will this help set the tone for a more productive day, but getting that workout in will give you that endorphin rush you need for a better mood and improved focus. There’s truly no better way to get your day started.
Need some motivation? Set a workout notification using your FitOn app for a gentle reminder that it’s time to press play on that daily workout.
Tip #3 Find Ways to Squeeze in Movement Into Your Work Day
If you’re stuck at a desk all day, don’t let this hold you back! Sit on a stability ball vs. a chair for part of your day to help strengthen that core, and consider keeping some resistance bands in your desk to pull out during short breaks at work.
You’ll fit in some exercise (hello sneaky calorie burn), and give your eyes and neck a rest from sitting in front of a computer all day.
Don’t be afraid to find clever ways to move your body throughout the day, even if it means taking a brisk walk to the restroom every hour to get the blood flowing!
Tip #4 Get the Kids Involved
Home with the kiddos all day, or have various sports practice drop-offs after school gets out? Find ways to get the kids involved or fit in time to workout between drop-offs.
If your kiddos are young, get them in the stroller and go for a power walk! The fresh air will do everyone some good, and it’s a no brainer way to schedule in a busy day workout.
After sports practice drop off, can you walk around the field for 20 minutes to get a cardio sweat in? Think about ways you can get moving between all the kiddo scheduling that goes on for busy mamas. You may be surprised at where you can find time to practice that daily dose of self-care through exercise.
Tip #5 Don’t Just Stand There!
Real talk—there are many hold-ups on a day to day basis. From waiting in line at the grocery store to waiting for the water to boil while cooking dinner—these are all opportunities to fit in some busy day workouts.
While standing in line at the store, you can get some pretty discrete calf raises in without people raising their eyebrows too much (but who cares, really). And, while you have dinner on the stove or have 20 minutes until your slow cooker meal is ready, open your FitOn app and pick a 10-20 minute workout that you can get in while waiting. You’ll seriously be so glad you did when all you want to do at the end of the day is finally relax.
Sample One Week Workout Schedule For Crazy Busy Days
Need some other busy day workout inspo? We’re sharing a sample one week schedule that may work on even the busiest days.
This is a schedule that fits in small bursts of exercise throughout the day, so you don’t have to commit to a whole 30-60 minutes at one time.
HIIT It Monday
- Get a-10 minute FitOn HIIT workout in first thing in the AM by waking up just 10 minutes earlier.
- Take 10 minutes out of your lunch break to walk it out.
- Wind down your day with 10 minutes of yoga or Pilates.
Tone It Tuesday
- Wake up 20 minutes earlier and get a 20-minute FitOn strength training workout in. Try our Total Body Meltdown with FitOn trainer Caroline Pearce for a sweat dripping, energizing, and mood-boosting way to start your Tuesday.
- Do 15 tricep dips, a one minute plank, and 20 squats whenever you can fit it into your day today.
Walk It Out Wednesday
- Today, focus on how you can fit a total of 30 minutes of walking into your day. Have 10 minutes before work? Walk it out. Grab the kiddos and go for a family walk, or invite your friend on a chat and walk date to get a calorie burn in.
Toned Booty Thursday
- Today is all about that booty burn. Press play on a 20 minute Ballin’ Body workout with FitOn trainer Kenta Seki first thing in the AM or before dinner if evening workouts work better for your schedule.
- Drop and do 20 squats two times today whenever you have a spare two minutes.
Flex It Friday
- Squeeze in any 10-minute strength training FitOn workout of your choice either in the AM or whenever you have a spare 10 minutes.
- Tone that core with a one minute plank and 20 crunches twice today.
- Wind down your evening with a three-minute bedtime stretch with FitOn trainer Cassey Ho.
Outsmart Busy Days
There you have it. The hacks and cheat sheet workout schedule you need to fit in a workout, even on the days where you literally feel like you’ve been running on a treadmill all damn day.
Don’t let a busy schedule be the reason you don’t practice one of the best acts of self-care. Find even 10 minutes per day to get your body moving. You’ll walk away feeling empowered and like a total boss.