Do you find yourself tossing and turning at night or wide awake, doing everything you can just to try to get some sleep? You’re not alone. In fact, millions of Americans suffer from some form of sleep disturbance, so getting that golden eight hours of sleep each night isn’t as easy as it sounds.
The good news? There are some tips and tricks to help you get to sleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up feeling more rested.
We’re sharing a stretching routine you need to try for a better night sleep every single night.
The Evening Stretching Routine You Need For a Better Night’s Sleep
Get in your comfy PJ’s, grab a yoga mat and dim the lights. Maybe grab some essential oils, if you’re into that kinda thing. Make this evening stretch part of your nighttime routine to help signal the brain that it’s time for bed.
Get ready to gently stretch your body before you hit the hay. Here are some of our favorite stretches to include in your evening stretch routine.
- Neck Stretches: Neck stretches are key for those of us who sit at a desk all day, or really anyone. We’re all guilty of spending a little too much time scrolling through our Insta. Stretching your neck can help relieve tension and muscle soreness. For these neck stretches, just do what feels best. Tilt your head to one side, bringing your ears to your shoulders, and holding as you take a few breaths. Repeat on the other side. Try rolling your shoulders back a few times as well to loosen them up. Do this for as long as what feels best for you.
- Legs up on the Wall Stretch:
- Grab your mat, and pull it close to the wall. Scoot your booty as close to the wall as you can, lie on your back, and have your legs up. Make sure your arms are relaxed and your shoulders are back. Sit here for a few minutes to just let all the tension of the day go.
- Butterfly Pose: Next, sit up with the soles of your feet touching and your hips out to form almost a butterfly shape. Sit like this for a few minutes to really stretch out those hips and legs.
- Child’s Pose: Ah, the absolute best and most relaxing part of a yoga class, right? Wind down your evening stretching routine by sitting in child’s pose for as long as you would like. It’s a great way to really relax the entire body before bed.
The Benefits of an Evening Stretching Routine
Besides the fact that stretching before bed may help promote a better night sleep, an evening stretching routine is also a great way to help reduce muscle soreness and promote flexibility. It’s the perfect way to help complement your current workout routine, and trust us, you’ll need a good stretch after a hardcore FitOn workout!
Make Evening Stretching Part of Your Routine
Having a solid nighttime routine isn’t just for little ones. While having a routine before bed is generally thought to be something that benefits little ones, it’s actually extremely beneficial for adults as well.
With everything we have to balance all day, it’s hard to just jump into bed at the end of the day and fall right to sleep. Chances are, you aren’t going to sleep as well as you could if you don’t pause and take some time to wind down first.
So, make the most of your evening stretching routine by doing some stretching. It will be incredibly beneficial for mind and body and you may be shocked to see how much better you sleep each night. Plus, it counts as just a little extra daily self-care that all of us ladies totally need.