MCT oil has become one of those buzz-worthy health trends that paleo and keto-dieters rave about. It’s hard to talk about a low-carb diet without mentioning how great MCT oil and keto go together or how athletes fuel up on this fat source before a big workout.
So far, we have seen it found in coffee or blended into a smoothie or protein shake, but with MCT growing in popularity, you can expect to see it pop up in more than just trendy beverages this year.
What is MCT Oil & What’s All the Buzz About Anyway?
If you haven’t heard of MCT oil, trust us-you will. But, here’s the lowdown on what you need to know about what MCT’s are, and why MCT oil is the bomb.
- MCT’s are medium chain triglycerides that are found in coconut oil and used as a very quick source of energy. These fats are sent directly to the liver and have a thermogenic effect on the body which means they can help support metabolism (hello optimal fat burning!)
- MCT’s are thought to provide the body with long-lasting energy without giving you that crash and burn stimulants like caffeine would.
- Medium chain triglycerides are thought to help boost mental clarity, support digestion, support metabolic function, and athletic performance.
- There are four different types of MCT’s, but caprylic acid (C8) is known to be the most beneficial.
- It may help balance hormone levels and even boost your overall mood (yes, please!)
- This oil may help support the immune system by keeping bacterial and viral infections at bay.
- Due to its high fat content, it can help promote better absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
- MCT’s can help support gut health since they can help fight off pathogenic bacteria, parasites, and fungi.
2019 – The Year of MCT Oil
Here’s where you may find it popping up this year.
- MCT oil powders such as Perfect Keto
- Protein powder such as Perfect Keto collagen protein powder
- Protein bars such as MCT Bars
- MCT oil softgels such as Bulletproof’s Brain Octane Softgels
- Keto Coffee Creamers
The Final Word
MCT oil is pretty much a must-have staple item for those following a keto diet, or really anyone who is looking to supercharge their health with an ideal fat source.
If you are looking for alternative ways to add MCT oil to your diet, keep your eyes peeled for more and more keto and paleo brands coming out with creative ways to get it into your diet. And, in the meantime, keep adding it to your morning cup of joe, your post FitOn workout shake or try out one of these genius brands that have already jumped on the bandwagon and are offering a delicious way to get this fat into your diet.