Fall is officially here, and let’s face it — 2020 has been a total rollercoaster, but we’re excited about a new season and a new opportunity to crush our health and wellness goals. And, while this fall may be an unusual one for many of us — between WFH, homeschooling, and just being home more, in general, we’ve rounded up some of our current favorite wellness hacks all included in our FitOn 2020 fall wellness guide. Let’s start this new season with a bang, and if you’ve been stuck in a bit of a funk lately, let’s make this season the time where you work on feeling a bit more like yourself again.
Our fall wellness guide is broken down into three categories, and we’re letting you in on all the details.
Nourish, Movement, Self-Care: The Ultimate Fall Wellness Guide
- Nourish: How we’re fueling our bodies with yummy and nourishing foods
- Movement: Our favorite workouts to take into this new season
- Self-Care: A roundup of our go-to ways to practice self-care this fall
Nourish: Eating All The Healthy & Delicious Flavors of Fall
Nothing says fall nutrition like pumpkin spice, are we right? But, aside from all things pumpkin, there are some other really delicious ways to nourish your body in the fall months ahead.
Here are some of our favorite ways to fuel up on all of the fall goodness this season.
#1 Enjoy In-Season Foods
So many yummy foods are in-season this time of year that can be turned into healthy comfort food meals.
Some of our favorites include:
- Butternut squash
- Sweet potatoes
#2 Whip up Delicious Seasonal Recipes
Use some delicious in-season foods to make some yummy seasonal recipes. Here are two of our go-to’s from FitOn PRO.
Maple-Roasted Pumpkin & Apple Salad
This Maple-roasted Pumpkin & Apple Salad featured in FitOn PRO is bursting with pumpkin flavor. Balanced with healthy fat, protein, and carbs, this salad makes a delicious and nourishing lunch.
- ¼ Japanese pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Sea salt to taste
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 apple
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 cups baby spinach, shredded
- ½ bunch fresh mint, shredded
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place the chopped pumpkin in a mixing bowl and drizzle with the olive oil and maple syrup. Season with sea salt and toss to coat.
Spread the pumpkin across the baking tray and place in the oven to roast for 25 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven and add the pecans. Toss to coat. Return the tray to the oven to roast for a further 15 minutes.
Slice the apple into thin moons and place in a small mixing bowl. Pour the lemon juice on top and toss to coat. Set aside.
To plate up, spread the shredded spinach and mint across a serving plate. Arrange the apple slices, maple roasted pumpkin, and pecans on top. Garnish with crumbled goat cheese, if using.
For a dairy-free alternative: Omit the goat cheese or replace it with cashew or macadamia cheese.
Banana & Spiced Pumpkin Waffles
Here’s one of our favorite healthy pumpkin recipes — and if you like waffles, we think you’ll love these Banana & Spiced Pumpkin Waffles too.
- ¾ cup buckwheat groats
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1½ tsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp turmeric
Place all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend to combine.
Pour 1/4 of the batter into each waffle iron side and cook until firm, following the instructions from your waffle iron manufacturer. The batter should make 4 waffles. Carefully remove the cooked waffles from the waffle maker and transfer to a cooling rack to allow them to become crisp.
Serve topped with coconut yogurt, pecans, banana slices, and maple syrup, if using.
The batter can also be used to make pancakes.
Simply fry in batches.
Pumpkin Recipes Galore
Want more fall inspired recipes?
#3 Shop Local
During the early fall months, if you’re lucky enough to have a farmers market near you, get out and shop local! Not only is it a great way to support local farmers, but you truly cannot beat in-season farmers market foods. So, grab your reusable shopping bags and schedule in a market day this week.
#4 Meal Plan Like a Pro
There’s truly no better time than now to start working towards your healthy eating goals and getting ready for the holiday season (the healthy way!). Get ahead of the game by starting a meal planning ritual every week — looking for a streamlined and delicious way to get started? Consider treating yourself to FitOn PRO and start working on those new year nutrition goals now… you’ll thank yourself later.
Movement: Crushing Fall Fitness Goals
We couldn’t roundup a fall wellness guide without sprinkling in some ways to uplevel your fitness routine this season. Plus, a new season comes with new goals and with at-home workouts, you can transform your workout schedule to be whatever works best for you.
Here are some of our tips for crushing your fitness goals this fall:
- Challenge yourself to schedule in your workouts every Sunday night by opening the FitOn app and selecting your workouts for the week.
- Pick a few mornings each week to try a yoga or Pilates class to center your mind and body before your day gets started.
- Establish an evening ritual that includes a before-bed stretch or meditation.
Spice up your fitness routine a bit this fall by trying brand new FitOn workouts.
- Metabolic Cardio Sculpt with Jeanette Jenkins
- Beautiful Body Sculpt with Jeanette Jenkins
- Stronger Arms & Abs with Caroline Pearce
- Back & Arms Blast with Brendon Ayanbadejo
Self-Care: Finding The Space For “Me” Time
Self-care is never optional, which is why it’s a key part of our 2020 fall wellness guide — it’s an essential part of wellness and a new season brings a new opportunity to add some additional self-care into your current routine.
Here are some fall inspired ways to add variety to your self-care rituals this season.
#1 Get Your Skincare Routine Fall-Ready Because Fall = Dry Skin Season
While we love the fall, those of us who are dry skin prone often deal with drier skin when cooler weather hits (especially when it gets cold enough to turn on the heat!) The good news is that you can get started on a fall skincare routine now to keep your skin hydrated and healthy all season long.
- Stay hydrated with water and sip on herbal tea if you are craving a warm beverage.
- Enjoy foods for healthy skin such as avocados, kiwis, flaxseeds, kale, and salmon.
- Check out these 14 Skincare Products You May Already Have in Your Pantry (+ 3 simple recipes)
#2 Try a Wellness Tea or Latte
If you’re trying to lay low on the caffeine or are looking for some caffeine alternatives that also offer that same warm beverage comfort like your morning cup of joe, try a fall-inspired wellness tea! Think ginger, chamomile, or even a golden milk latte.
Ayurvedic Hot Chocolate
To give you some inspo, here’s an Ayurvedic Hot Chocolate straight from FitOn PRO to enjoy as a delicious guilt-free treat.
- 1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp cacao powder, plus extra to serve
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- ¼ tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Add the milk to a saucepan over medium heat and heat until warm. Turn the heat off, and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
Add this warm mixture to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon or raw cacao powder.
#3 Regulate Your Circadian Rhythm
If your sleep habits have been less than ideal, we feel ya. This year has brought on so much added stress, and stress can impact our sleep. Let’s all use this season as a time to focus on getting a better night’s rest and getting our circadian rhythms regulated.
#4 Meditate (Daily!)
If you haven’t already established a meditation routine, there’s no better time than right now! Research has shown time and time again just how amazing meditation is for reducing stress, helping us focus on the present, and just bringing more mindfulness into our day to day lives.
- Letting Go Meditation with Elise Joan
- Simple Meditation with Vytas
- Be Present Meditation with Elise Joan
#5 Essential Oils (Fall Style)
If you’re into essential oils, consider adding some fall scents into your diffuser during your daily meditation or yoga practice.
Some great options that come with a cozy fall aroma include:
#6 Find The Best Ways to Destress For YOU
While we all know that stress reduction is important, there’s really no one size fits all — you have to find what works best for you.
#7 Try Something New
If you’ve been itching to add something new to your current self-care routine, make this fall the time you try it!
Some trending self-care ideas we’re loving include:
- Acupressure Mats — dealing with aches and pains from this WFH season? An acupressure mat may make a great addition to your self-care routine.
- Gratitude Journaling — gratitude journaling has actually been shown to be good for our mental health. So, upgrade your current journal to a fall themed one for some added inspiration to put pen to paper and journal for a few minutes each day. You can start small and just write down three things you are thankful for each morning over your cup of coffee or tea.
- Mindfulness & Meditation — always important, no matter what season!
- Create a Capsule Fall Fitness Wardrobe — need some new fitness attire? Treat yourself to a few new pieces to create a fall fitness wardrobe to bring into other seasons throughout the year. Sometimes all we need is a few workout outfits to ignite that motivation to wakeup and get our workout in!
- Bring The Outdoors in — depending on where you live, it can get a little chilly in the later fall months, so if you find yourself not getting outside as much as you did during the summertime, bring the outside in! Spruce up your WFH space or even your workout space with the beauty of indoor plants. It doesn’t matter how much extra space you have, even a little fern added to your work desk can go a long way in making it feel a bit more zen. Plus, did you know that certain house plants can help purify the air in our home? Great options include ferns, areca palm, money plant, and dragon trees.
Traveling is hard right now, but that doesn’ mean that you can’t have a little self-indulgent staycation to satisfy that travel bug — while also taking some time for some much-deserved self-care.
Make This The Season You Crush All Of Your Wellness Goals!
Despite the fact that this fall may look different than others, we hope this fall wellness guide has inspired you to make this the season where you tackle all of your goals!
From fitness to nutrition and self-care, there’s something we all can be working on during the fall season.