Self-care is investing in your emotional and physical well being through simple acts. In fact, research shows that self-care is an important part of living a happier and more productive life – think of it like adding gas to your tank. How can you accomplish all your health, fitness, career, and lifestyle goals if you’re running on empty? To help you get started on your self-care journey, we’re sharing nine daily self-care ideas that are easy to implement and will leave you feeling recharged.
P.S. It’s time to ditch the stigma that self-care is a luxury — self-care is essential and we’re big fans of filling up our cup with a daily dose of much-needed and much-deserved self-care.
Self-care Isn’t Selfish, It’s Essential: Here are 9 Self-care Ideas to Try on Even The Busy Days
#1 Connect Over Zoom Hangouts
Finding and fostering a community is so important for our overall well being. With all the awesome virtual hangs at your fingertips, you can stay connected with your loved ones without even having to get out of your PJs. Organize a Zoom Happy Hour or a hang out with your family both near and far!
#2 Keep a Nightly Gratitude Journal
Studies show that giving thanks actually makes you happier! Gratitude journaling is a super simple yet effective way to practice self-care. Plus, you may find yourself feeling more upbeat and positive too (win!)
Try to be as specific as possible when jotting down your gratitudes, like:
- I am grateful for a strong, healthy body that allows me to play with my children.
- I am thankful for my best friend, who always shows up and offers support.
- I feel grateful that I have access to healthy fruits and vegetables.
If evening gratitude journaling doesn’t work for you, try using this as one of those self-care ideas that you add into another part of your day (like when you’re drinking your morning cup of coffee).
#3 Listen to an Inspiring Podcast
Take advantage of all the inspiring and motivational podcasts available. This is an easy act of self-care because you can tag-team it with other self-care activities, like sipping on a mug of tea while wearing your favorite beauty mask. Into essential oils? Have those diffusing too to help set the tone for some serious relaxation.
Research shows that meditation reduces stress and other negative emotions. Spend a few moments every day focusing on your breath, in a comfortable seated position away from noise and distractions.
One of the best things about meditation is that you can customize it to your needs — only have five minutes to squeeze some self-care in? You can meditate for just a few minutes. Have more time on your hands? Get into a longer meditation practice.
If you’re new to meditation and don’t know where to begin, try a FitOn meditation to help you get centered.
#5 Invest In Self-Care Products
This makes one of those daily self-care ideas that helps take care of your mind, body, and soul because investing in YOU is a wonderful act of self-care. We happen to love the idea of treating yourself to some new self-care products to add to your self-care routine — it doesn’t have to be anything luxurious or expensive. But, something as simple as a new set of PJs or an eco-friendly candle can go a long way in boosting your mood through simple acts of self-care.
Here are some products we love:
- Diffuser: Research suggests that lavender may help calm the nervous system. So, try adding a few drops of lavender oil to your diffuser and breathe in the calm!
- Shif: This cool product from Komuso Design helps you breathe deeper and more effectively! And you can wear it around your neck, so you have easy access to deep breaths whenever you’re feeling anxious.
- Cashmere pajamas: Luxurious fabrics make you feel cozy, warm, and, well — luxurious! Invest in a pair of super soft, cashmere PJ’s like these from State Cashmere.
- Eco-friendly Candles: Find a scent that makes you feel calm and relaxed. We love eco-friendly options like Pure Plant Home Candles and P.F. Candles.
- A New Self Development Book: Brighten your mood with a new self-development book to add to your evening routine. Reading with a mug of herbal tea before bed is one of our go-to self-care ideas to help wind things down at the end of a long day and fill up our self-care tanks before hitting the hay before the next busy day.
Some inspiring books we’re reading lately include:
- Girl, Wash Your Face
- You Are a Badass
#6 Get Out in Nature
Studies show that being in nature has a profound impact on mood and overall health. Rejuvenate your spirit and calm your mind by taking a hike in a beautiful, scenic location (it’s also a great way to get some exercise in!).
If you live near the beach, take a bike ride along the path and soak up some Vitamin D!
#7 Post a Badass Gains Selfie
While focusing too much on external validation is not ideal, sometimes it can be a positive boost to show off that hard work you’ve been putting into your workouts. Post a pic of your progress and offer some words of encouragement to your followers. Remind them that it’s not about how you look — it’s about you feel, and that you’re proud of your determination to take care of a healthy body!
#8 Clean Your Space
Research shows that living in clutter can increase stress levels. A great act of self-care is spending some time organizing and tidying up. Plus, it will feel so insanely good to finally throw away that pile of Amazon boxes that’s been taking up all of your bedroom floor space (no judgment).
#9 Take Yourself On A Date
That’s right — a real date. And while this isn’t one of those daily self-care ideas you can do every single day, it’s something you can pencil in every month or whenever you have the time.
Dress up in your favorite outfit, set a specific time, and pick an activity you don’t necessarily do often, but that brings you a lot of joy.
Here are some ideas:
- Take yourself for a solo beach walk.
- Stream a cool online cooking class.
- Make yourself a delicious, healthy meal, and watch your favorite movie.
- Explore where you live! Is there a park you haven’t been to yet or a beautiful scenic overlook you could go and set up a picnic? Get out and try something new.
There’s No Time Like The Present
Self-care is an important part of maintaining our overall health. Don’t wait to begin your self-care routine. With these simple yet effective daily self-care ideas, you’ll be feeling healthier, happier, and more rejuvenated!