Did you know that lack of time is one of the number one excuses for not getting a workout in? Yup, it’s true, but now more than ever, most of us are stuck home in quarantine mode. This frees up a ton of time, but it can also lead to overwhelm, trying to figure out what task needs our attention first. It may also mean that you start to lose the motivation to exercise if you’re out of your usual routine. But, here at FitOn, we want you to make yourself a priority by taking care of your mental and physical health every darn day, and to start making this a habit now. We’re sharing five tips on how to workout from home, plus a sample schedule you can try out for a whole week, making this self-quarantine just a tad easier.
5 Tips to Workout From Home While Stuck in the House
Tip #1: Get Serious With Scheduling
Real talk—if you’re feeling totally unorganized and like you can barely catch your breath with that list of to-dos that’s calling your name, it’s time to get down to business with scheduling. Sometimes all it takes to carve out that workout from home is a few minutes first thing in the AM to write out your daily schedule.
Start with your must-do priorities first, and try blocking times for everything you need to do. Have an at-home work meeting between 11 AM-12 PM? Block this time out, and do the same for your other tasks. Then, look at your schedule and see where you can squeeze in a quick workout.
Can you take 15 minutes away from relaxing at lunch to press play on a FitOn cardio blast? When you pencil in everything you have going on, you’ll be surprised at where you can fit in a workout.
Tip #2 Set Your Alarm Earlier
While this may sound pretty basic, getting up earlier is one of the easiest ways to fit in that workout from home, even on the days that you feel like you have tons of free time on your hands.
Getting that sweat in before the rest of those to-dos get going guarantees it gets done and will help set the tone for a more productive day. Plus, getting that workout in will give you that endorphin rush you need for a better mood and improved focus. There’s truly no better way to get your day started.
Need some motivation? Set a workout notification using your FitOn app for a gentle reminder that it’s time to press play on that daily workout.
Tip #3 Find Ways to Squeeze in Movement Into Your At-Home Work Day
If your work schedule has changed a bit, and you’re working from home like most of us, don’t let this hold you back! Sit on a stability ball vs. a chair for part of your day to help strengthen that core, and consider keeping some resistance bands on hand to pull out during breaks between your work calls.
You’ll fit in some exercise (hello sneaky calorie burn), and give your eyes and neck a rest from sitting in front of a computer all day.
Tip #4 Get the Kids Involved
If your kids are starting to get cabin fever, why not find ways to get them involved in your fitness routine?
Here at FitOn, we offer a WITH kids selection of workouts, making it easier than ever to workout from home. So, get the fam in on the fun! It may just be what everyone needs for a total mood boost.
Tip #5 Don’t Just Stand There!
Real talk—there are many hold-ups on a day to day basis. And, even when we’re stuck at home, many things can get in our way from working out. Maybe we have piles of laundry to do, or meals to get on the table. Look at these as opportunities to fit in a quick workout!
While standing around waiting for your laundry to be dry, get a quick HIIT workout in. And, while you have dinner on the stove or have 20 minutes until your slow cooker meal is ready, open your FitOn app and pick a 10-20 minute workout that you can get in while waiting.
You’ll seriously be so glad you did and feel totally accomplished by challenging yourself to keep up with those fitness goals while being stuck at home.
Sample One Week Workout Schedule For Crazy Busy Days
Need some other workout from home inspo? We’re sharing a sample one week schedule.
This is a schedule that fits in small bursts of exercise throughout the day, so you don’t have to commit to a whole 30-60 minutes at one time.
HIIT It Monday
- Get a-10 minute HIIT workout in first thing in the AM by waking up just 10 minutes earlier.
- Take 10 minutes out of your lunch break to walk it out.
- Wind down your day with 10 minutes of yoga or Pilates.
Tone It Tuesday
- Wake up 20 minutes earlier and get a 20-minute FitOn strength training workout in. Try our Total Body Meltdown with FitOn trainer Caroline Pearce for a sweat dripping, energizing, and mood-boosting way to start your Tuesday.
- Do 15 tricep dips, a one minute plank, and 20 squats whenever you can fit it into your day today.
Walk It Out Wednesday
- Today, focus on how you can fit a total of 30 minutes of walking into your day. Have 10 minutes before work? Walk it out. Grab the kiddos and go for a family walk, or invite your friend on a chat and walk date to get a calorie burn in.
Toned Booty Thursday
- Today is all about that booty burn. Press play on a 20 minute Ballin’ Body workout with FitOn trainer Kenta Seki first thing in the AM or before dinner if evening workouts work better for your schedule.
- Drop and do 20 squats two times today whenever you have a spare two minutes.
Flex It Friday
- Squeeze in any 10-minute strength training FitOn workout of your choice either in the AM or whenever you have a spare 10 minutes.
- Tone that core with a one minute plank and 20 crunches twice today.
- Wind down your evening with a three-minute bedtime stretch with FitOn trainer Cassey Ho.
Get Your Sweat in Without Having to Leave Home
There you have it. The hacks and cheat sheet workout schedule you need to make that workout from home easier, fun, and extremely effective.
Don’t let not having access to a gym right now be the reason not to practice one of the best acts of self-care. Finding even 10 minutes per day to get your body moving will leave you feeling empowered, motivated to keep your fitness routine going, and like a total boss.